Rats are a major risk to our health and up to 60% carry disease. Our 24/7 call answering service will insure there is always a person to handle any problem you are having with rats swiftly and professionally.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE RATS?
Besides the obvious sign that you or a member of your house or office has seen a rat, there are a few tell tale signs. For example, you may notice that goods or stock has been damaged when stored with signs of gnawing. Rats also gnaw at doors and skirting boards.
Another way to identify any sign of rats, is they have a protective coating of grease on their body and as they rub against surfaces they leave a smear behind. You often find rats take the same route over and over, this is known as a rat run.
SIGNS OF RATS IN YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS
- Damaged goods/stock.
- Gnawed woodwork (doors/skirting).
- Rat droppings (1-2cm long – sausage shaped).
- Rats leave a distinctive smell behind, it could be compared to ammonia and can be very strong in enclosed areas.
- Rats have a protective coating of grease on their body and as they rub against surfaces they leave a smear behind. You often find rats take the same route over and over, this is known as a rat run.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH A RAT INFESTATION?
- Up to 60% of rats carry potentially lethal diseases like Weil’s Disease and spread infections such as Salmonella or Hantavirus.
- Rats urinate every 15 to 20 minutes. Their main intake is liquids so this cycle is quite consistent.
- The underside of a rat gets soaked in urine which gets dragged across food preparation surfaces, over stock and anywhere a rat has been spreading bacteria and disease as it goes.
- When awake rats can spend up to 40% of their time gnawing and with sharp teeth can gnaw through electric cables, plastic, wood and even mild steel.
- Damage to buildings, goods and stock.
- Damage to fire alarm systems.
- Potential cnsequences for a business
- Temporary closure could last 2-3 weeks until the problem is sorted.
- Failure to comply with required health and safety standards could result in legal action.
- Damage to reputation.
TIME FOR ACTION
For expert advice on rat control & prevention, or to discuss putting a pest control management system in place for your business, please do not hesitate to contact us.